Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Budapest, Hungary

 When we landed in Hugary the first thing we had to make sure to do was get some of their currency. Hungary is not on the Euro, which is nice because at least for me it was much cheaper than most of the other places I've visited! This is 10,000 Forint which looked like monopoly money to me but it was still pretty cool nonetheless.
 I also really enjoyed breakfast here because it was the largest breakfast I think I've had since coming to Europe. Eggs with BACON! That is something that is not easy to find, and the bacon was cooked to perfection as well. I have also become quite accustomed to mixing my foods all together which in the U.S. I was not so keen on but they taste great together, especially the bread, eggs and tomatoes.
On Friday we were going to take a free walking tour but there was no guide in sight at the meeting point so instead we just decided to walk around the city for ourselves. Not knowing exactly what to see was an adventure because there were things that we just stumbled upon.

Budapest rests right on the Danube River and has 3 main bridges that connect the two sides of Buda and Pest.








We met for the tour at St. Stephen's church but there was no guide that showed up so we just continued to walk around and explore all of Friday. The two pictures below are from inside of the Budapest Opera house, unfortunately we did not go and see a show while we were visiting.

We did walk past Heroes square which was large but looked to me like a smaller version of everything that is right here in Roma. It was still pretty amazing to see! This weekend it was also surprisingly hot, in the 70's all weekend!

Kelly and I in Heroes square

We stopped at a nice park to sit and rest because we made a huge loop around the city, and the weather was so hot it was a must. While we sat there we got to see some cute baby ducks!

Traditional Hungarian dinner - I am not exactly sure what it is but it was pretty good not too much flavor though.

Of course the next morning I also got some eggs, this was apparently the traditional 'English' breakfast. At this point I really was in the mood for eggs and toast. Later on this day we went caving under the city of Budapest! We had to put on these ridiculous looking jumpsuits which I was actually happy to have after we were done. There was so much slippery clay 50 meters under the ground that it was almost impossible to not get dirty. My shoes were filthy after the trip. We had to climb through and under small cracks/holes in the rocks and caves. At one point from so much movement my suit pants ripped...

Caving Crew: Me, Alec, and Kelly
Nevertheless it was quite the adventure and I had worked up a pretty good sweat for being so far underground. We were also completely exhausted after the 3 hour tour of the caves that we went home and passed right out after getting dinner at the only place that was open near us, T.G.I. Fridays...


Parliament building - it was under construction
The next day before we left Kelly and I tried to get into the large indoor market but it was apparently closed on Sundays. So the next thing we did after waking up Alec, or as we called him 'Sleeping Beauty', we went to the thermal Baths.
Thermal Baths


These were so pretty and picturesque the only thing that was pretty hysterical to watch was all of the older Europeans in their speedos walking around the place with drinks in hand.
Kelly and I before we decided to go into the water



No comments:

Post a Comment